Friday, January 23, 2009

Closet Space

After Mr. Adorable dumped the contents of my shoe rack onto the floor, I decided that maybe it was time to clean out my closet.  I've spent the last year sorting, consolidating and re-organizing every closet and every room in the house, and I never even thought about tackling MY closet.

But last month, tackle it I did!  I made myself some mental guidelines and dove into the project.  I got rid of:

*anything that was stained, stretched out, or worn out
*styles that were too young 
*shirts that were low-necked, sheer, or not long enough
*things that just "weren't ME" (even if they WERE cashmere!)
*shoes that were uncomfortably tight (even if they WERE Clarks!)

I sorted through my bookshelves recently too, and got rid of a small pile of beloved books, the premise being that if I wouldn't allow my children to read them when they get older, then they have no business being on my shelves.  As a parent, I should lead by example!  That same idea contributed to my clothes-sorting guidelines.  

To begin with, we humans (especially we Americans) could get by with a lot less stuff.  (Time to clean OUT the closet, not just straighten it!)  We (our family) live on a comfortable income, and can afford to buy new clothes IF and when we really need them.  (Good-bye, stained, stretched out, worn out old t-shirts -- I can always wear one of my husband's t-shirts when I mow the lawn!)  I am 32 years old, and a mother of four.  (Isn't it time to dress my age?  Well, at least not wear clothes meant for teenagers...)  I am trying to teach my girls what is and what isn't modest, and good examples are hard to find.  (I shouldn't be able to point to my OWN closet for the bad examples!)  And yes, I am addicted to cashmere (anything cashmere!) and Clarks brand shoes, and I will freely admit it.  (But that doesn't mean I should wear unflattering colors or styles and walk around in too-tight shoes!)

It is a lot easier to keep my closet neatly organized now that there are less clothes in it!  Now, if I could just convince Mr. Adorable that my shoes and shoe rack are not toys...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SO need to go through my clothes and books (and a few other things)--and I LOVE cashmere too. Had to throw away a beautiful sweater last year the mean moths had gotten to because of my carelessness. It was a very sad moment!
Blessings, A

KaraBeagle said...

We took out our walk-in closet a year and a half ago. What clothes I wanted to keep are in boxes in an unheated storage locker (probably molding) and will likely go from there to the dump or goodwill. I have a pair of rubber boots, two pairs of running shoes, and 3 pairs of fake Birkenstocks (BiMart 7.999 specials)--one good pair, for church and general, and two rotten outdoor pairs --two because my 8-year-old son often wears a pair outside. All shoes live by the front/back door. I own three dresser drawers, one for socks, undies and shorts, one for shirts and one for jeans...I also have a couple of folded up jeans skirts in there.

IF we ever get our remodeling done, we will not be replacing our walk-in closet, but will be putting a "closet" of sorts, yet to be determined, along one wall in our room. It will likely have louvered doors and shelves with or without clear lidded boxes (to keep the cats from sleeping there) so that I can see what I have. MY problem is that I remember where things are by sight and if I cannot see them, I do not remember I have them. Thus shoes in a closet is of no use to me. And a dresser is almost worthless, except that I know there MUST be a shirt in there somewhere. I seriously doubt I will ever again own anything that has to be hung up...

It's amazing how simply you can live when you get rid of your closets!!

Anonymous said...

KaraBeagle said: "MY problem is that I remember where things are by sight and if I cannot see them, I do not remember I have them."

Sad but true for many of us I think. Sometimes I'm surprised when I find a 'long lost' item--be it clothes, dishes, other items-- buried in the deep recesses of my house:)
I think it is time to get rid of the excess...I just need some sunny days to give me the inspiration to do that.
TY again for this post.

Blessings, A